About this site

Tumbang Preso (meaning, knock down the jail) is a game of arrests and escapes where each player's life
chances depends on the toppling of a tin can watched by a tag who plays guard.

Friday, April 16, 2010









We write for ourselves, because
if we don't we feel less of who we are.



Lia Lopez-Chua

Some people, maybe in the Philippines, will call me a Chinese poet. But to the rest of the world, I will be a Filipino because of my country of origin.

Is my poetry Chinese? Filipino? Regional? Cultural? Existential? Maybe a region of existence.

Different readers will respond differently to my work. My book's title and cover may grab some and not others. My poetry will resonate with some and not with others.

If the kids cannot afford to pay for my book, they will find a way to copy. I have done that too, and years later when I can afford them, I went searching for those books to have them in my hand. I don’t think I need to bring anything down. The book can be loved or lambasted, or whatever. Just like any work of art, it is what it is. And so be it. Not to mention the book can be thrown into the discount bin, then hallelujah.

What I can say regarding this book is: I think I have given the important details enough thought. I think as with anything important we get ourselves into, we will have second thoughts as to the validity, appropriateness, and verisimilitude of details. And of the endeavor itself. Is this book worth publishing? Is it worth the weight of the paper, the money, the time of people involved, the beautiful cover design? Does the title and the art on the cover do anything for it? Will it be accessible? Some of us will say yes and some of us will say no.

But to go back to writing itself:

No. It has nothing to do with print. I have never focused on print myself. All the publications I’ve had after the age of 22 were not of my own initiative. The only reason I published when I was in college was because my poet buddies in college were published, and it was a challenge to me to get published.

I don’t join literary competitions. I think I have enough ups and downs in my life, just being myself, just doing my darn best to function like a normal person and take care of myself. I only share my work with friends. With Tita, and she had been an advocate for me, sending my work here and there, and of course, there’s her Road Map. The truth is, no matter how corny it sounds, we have to write our truth only for ourselves. I believe that if anything I’ve written deserves its own existence, it will find itself a place in this world. Life has a way of taking care of its own, for whatever reason it has. I was driven to “conclude” The Fate of All Progeny and take care of and put up with all the tedious details because I love the cover so much, because I value what all my friends did to help me get the book together. Otherwise, I really don’t need a book. Especially now, at 52, who I am has nothing to do with either I get published or not. I am a poet whether I write poems or don’t write them anymore; I am a poet even if I don’t publish.

I will always be a poet, because of my way of being in this world, because of my sensibilities. We write for ourselves, because if we don’t, we feel less of who we are. There will be stretches of time when we don’t write or can’t write, and these are the times when we must not forget who we are.

The most memorable thing my ex-partner said to me when I was at the lowest point: Lia, do not forget who you are

No comments:

Post a Comment